|World Health Organization (WHO)|
|Tuesday, 23 August 2011 13:42|
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) that acts as a coordinating authority on international public health. Established on 7 April 1948, and headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, the agency inherited the mandate and resources of its predecessor, the Health Organization, which had been an agency of the League of Nations.
WHO Work on Disability
This World Health Assembly (WHA) resolution calls on WHO to work towards ensuring equal opportunities and promotion of human rights for people with disabilities, especially those who are poor. The Secretariat will be requested to assist Member States in developing policies on disability which include community involvement and national rehabilitation programmes.
WHO is also requested to work to ensure early identification and treatment of those with disabilities, including the provision of assistive devices.
WHO assists these efforts by:
WHO is guiding and supporting countries to scale up public health programmes that promote rehabilitation and make assistive devices available to persons with disabilities. A six-year plan was developed in order to direct WHO's efforts at the national, regional and global levels.
WHO's role is to enhance the quality of life and to promote and protect the rights and dignity of people with disabilities through local, national and global efforts.
Summary of Alma-Ata declaration
|Last Updated on Thursday, 24 September 2015 16:13|
- World Sight Day
- World Mental Health Day
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2015
- DESA/DSPD Forum on Disability Inclusion and Accessible Urban Development
- UN Enable Photo Exhibition 2015
- United Nations Enable Film Festival (UNEFF)
- 1st International Film Festival for PwDs
- International Day of PwDs
- Human Rights Day
- World Down Syndrome Day
- 9th World Assembly of Disabled People International (DPI)
- VIII Latin-American Congress of the Blind, Montevideo
- World Humanitarian Summit, Istanbul, Turkey
- IX General Assembly of the World Blind Union